|The 26th IASP is hosted by the Institute of Mental Health (IMH), Peking University, and co-hosted by Hong Kong Jockey Club Centre for Suicide Research and Care for life association.
Host:The Institute of Mental Health (IMH), Peking University
The Institute of Mental Health (IMH), Peking University is a hospital integrating education, research and clinical services. It is designated by the World Health Organization as WHO/Beijing Mental Health Collaborating Center for Research and Training and by Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China-CDC) as the National Center for Mental Health. It also serves as the Base for Drug Clinical Trail and the Base for the Chinese National Continuing Medical Education in Psychiatry. Meanwhile, the Chinese Mental Health Journal and the Clinical Psychology Center of Peking University are affiliated with the Institute.
The inpatient services currently consist of general care units, pediatric wards, geriatric wards, clinical psychological division, a VIP ward, a day-care rehabilitation center, a comprehensive intervention center where medication, physiotherapy, and psychotherapy are provided. The outpatient service is provided by experienced psychiatrists specialized in general psychiatry, eating disorder, substance abuse, sleep disorder, age-related amnesia, and rehabilitation. Other psychiatric services including consultation-liaison, forensic, and clinical evaluation for disability are also available at IMH. Our services are open to both domestic and foreign patients.
Scientific achievement has been made in the National Key Laboratory for Mental Health in IMH. Research includes biological psychiatry, social psychiatry, child psychiatry, and psychiatric therapeutics, which has been awarded many times for its outstanding achievements.
IMH has kept open communication domestically and internationally to continuously improve clinical and academic training. As a teaching hospital of Peking University, the IMH undertakes all pedagogical tasks of psychiatry and educational reform. Meanwhile, we have successfully hosted many international academic conferences, including the first Asia-Pacific Regional Meeting of World Psychiatry Association (1997), the International Psychogeriatric Association–Beijing Joint Meeting (1999), the Asia-Pacific Regional Meeting of the Collegiums’ International Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum (CINP) (2004), the First World Congress on Cultural Psychiatry and the Seventh Annual Symposium of Chinese Society of Psychiatry (2006).IMH has played an important role in the establishment of the first law on mental health in China. From 2004, in the national project for mental health service model reformation (Project 686), IMH has been responsible for the program design, organizing, training, evaluation and supervision. IMH has also provided help for many major public health incidents.Co-host:Hong Kong Jockey Club Centre for Suicide Research
The Hong Kong Jockey Club Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention is committed to contribute our effort to the prevention works of suicide and deliberate self harm.
- To generate and advance knowledge in suicide studies through vigorous scientific research;
- To develop effective suicide preventive measures by public health approach;
- To build evidence-based indigenous working models for suicide ideators, attempters, as well as survivors through practitioners-researchers collaboration;
- To transfer skills and knowledge to front-line professionals through workshops, resource production as well as opportunity of practicum training;
- To contribute to the formulation of social and health policies in combating the problem of suicide.
Areas of Concern
- Monitoring and Surveillance System;
- Suicides and attempted suicides;
- Suicidal behaviour and ideation in the general population;
- Psychological, social and biological influences on suicidal behaviour;
- Evaluation of suicide prevention measures;
- Help people bereaved by suicide;
- Formulation of Suicide Prevention Strategies;
- Development of collaborations with mainland and international institutes.